I'm so excited- and nervous- for you guys to see everything!
Our SIXTH YEAR of VAUTE starts now- see the whole collection here! 50% off for the first 24 hours starts NOW.
Four Ways to Preorder//
- ONLINE at VauteCouture.com- Coat Shop here and Full Collection here.
- Call us for a phone order between 10am-8pm EST Tuesday-Sunday, 10am-5pm Mondays (347-422-0773)
- Email Sales@VauteCouture.com, if our online site is confusing (sorry!)!
- Stop by our Flagship store! We have a couple samples for you to see the new fabrics, and hats, and then you can try on coats from a previous collection and our team will figure out the best size for your preorder. You can email KelseyVaute@gmail.com to make a 20 minute appointment with her to preorder your new favorite coat or hat. She's available at the Flagship Store most weekdays Wednesday-Friday, and Saturday and Sunday, from 1-8pm.
In 2008 I quit everything on a mission to create the perfect winter dress coat- warm enough for a Chicago winter, and kind to animals, the Earth, and the workers, but something that I would wear everywhere! I spent 8 months of development, and in the summer of 2009, at the bottom of the recession, my original plan to fund our first production run via wholesale orders failed. No one was buying from new unproven labels, and per usual, I was late... this was a problem. Since we use special high tech fabrics, they aren't available to buy in stock or in small amounts. To produce the line, I'd have to fund thousands of yards of our fabrics. I didn't know what to do...
So when someone asked if they could preorder a coat from me, I realized this- could be how we fund production! I spent the next three days with my sweet web guys from Missouri creating our preorder site and launched it in the summer of 2009. We had hundreds of preorders from people I'd never met, who had never seen the coats in these brand new high tech ethical fabrics, and we had enough to create the fabrics, and cut and sew my coats in my hometown Chicago. It really was a dream come true! And I learned so much that year, we only had three returns (all three too small for the XS, 1 came back and met me on tour & switched styles.)
We are still a self-funded independent label! And the bigger we grow, the bigger our production grows. So every year, our Preorder Launch makes this all possible, and to say thanks I offer the biggest discount to our earliest supporters (You!) If you don't mind preordering a Winter Coat when you're wearing cutoffs, you'll get first pick on our Limited Run newest collection, and also 50% off for the first 24 hours. Why order early besides the discount? Well, many of our fabrics are especially made for our label, so once we run out we are soldout until next year.
**THE 24 HOUR PREORDER SALE**
- All outerwear (new ones! & final pieces from previous collections) are 50% off for 24 hours
- All dresses & RTW (new ones! & final pieces from previous collections) are 30% off for 24 hours
- All of our NEW HATS are $85, reg. $120
- NOTE- we're doing FREE US SHIPPING for any orders over $400, so be sure to check out the new sweaters, hats, and leggings too, we want you to be so warm and comfy this winter!
After that, most outerwear is 40% off for a week, then 30% off the next, and so on until they ship! Also our final outerwear and dress pieces from last year follow the same discount. You can see them all here.
The only exception is the Lincoln- this coat is so massive it takes twice as long to make as the others, so it will be 25% off after the 24 hour special 50% off sale. We get more requests for this head to toe insulated with Primaloft ECO coat than any other- and if you're in a cold city where you walk a lot, it'll be your best friend this winter!
WonderFelt: I've always wanted one of those pressed felt coats- so stiff, structured, and proper, and a felt hat!! This felt is 100% animal free crafted in the USA of 100% recycled plastic bottles. Also odor resistant, unlike Wool.
Organic Cotton Moleskin (with Rain & Snow Resistant Finish): For that classic dress coat look, we've worked with one of our favorite mills to create a 100% Organic Cotton Moleskin- it's matte finish, has a soft finish, and is water repellant.
All Insulated Winter Dress Coats: All of our winter dress coats this year are insulated in 100 gram Primaloft ECO and lined in Teijin windproof water resistant Ripstop.
Felt Hats: Handblocked one at a time in one of NYC's last remaining hat factories, using original vintage molds. These are insulated with quilted Primaloft, for cozy warmth, perfect through the winter for keeping your head warm and beautiful.
New RTW: Including a felt pencil skirt, the warmest slimmest winter leggings we could make, and a cozy cocoon sweater with thumb-holes, for every winter day you have to look chic but wish you were just wearing pajamas.
Also- two Snow Coats:
1. The Lincoln is back as our most requested coat. Head to toe insulated, with a hood. Vortex ready.
2. The Derek workman coat is now a quilted, water resistant, 200 gram Primaloft ECO insulated style.
A few of our most common PREORDER FAQ
- Fabrics- since these are new fabrics, can you tell me more about them?
YES Making a guide here- check back here for when it's finished!
2. When will my preorder ship?
Check the top of the product page for your style, for when we expect to finish and ship your coat. Each coat is made with love and there can be delays, if there are, we will email you directly and let you know. Thanks for your patience!
3. Can I change my style/color/size during preorders?
YES, up to 2 weeks before ship date, we can update your style/color/size if you forward your receipt to Sales@VauteCouture.com with "Update Preorder Order ____" as the subject, and we have the size/color/style you want still available. After emailing us, Lisa or Kaitlin will let you know your best options for choosing from which coats aren't spoken for yet, or canceling your order if we are soldout of the size you want. The sooner you know and finalize your choice, the better! If it's within 2 weeks of your coat's ship date, we may have begun making your ship label and organizing your shipment, but email us, and we will do our best to stop your coat from the prep process. We will do our best!
4. Where's your size chart?
Here! But check each style page for specific notes on that style. If a style after we finish production ends up being a bit off by a half or full size, we will update you as well!
5. Do you ship internationally?
Yes, we ship all over the world! Be sure to check with your country how much your import taxes and duties are, because we do not have any control over that. We love meeting such wonderful people from all over! Hope to see you on tour sometime!
6. When is a customer charged for a preorder?
Since the point of the preorder discount is to reward our earliest supporters who are helping us to fund production, your credit card will be charged for your preorder when you place the order. If you decide to cancel your order at any point before we ship, it'll be refunded, and takes about 5-10 business days to process.
7. What's your return/exchange policy?
You have until 30 days from the recipient *receiving* the piece to forward us your e-receipt at Sales@vautecouture.com with a return/exchange request, for full refund or store credit. After 30 days, you can exchange for store credit. The piece must be unworn and unwashed. This means if it's a gift, it's 30 days from when the gift recipient gets it (we know it takes time to get it and take it over!) :)
8. Are your coats warm? They don't look that warm. I'm in a cold city- a REALLY cold city!
Ah! This is the magic of the mission. I wanted to create really warm coats that don't look like puffy unflattering hiking styles. So after 8 months of fabric research, I found our perfect equation- marrying high tech performance fabrics and materials made by Mills used by Patagonia and North Face, with finishes and combinations with other fabrics to give the look of a sharp winter dress coat. So you get the warmth of an athletic winter coat but the look of a style focused coat. I started this company without a background in fashion, but as the daughter of two science people (a pediatrician and an engineer/inventor) because I grew up with terribly cold winters and long commutes in Chicago, so I wanted to create something really protective, that was also ethical and beautiful. (Some coats are meant more for spring, fall, or light winter, and if so this will be noted on the product pages.)
9. Where are your coats made?
Our outerwear and Ready to Wear (dresses, etc) are all made either in my current home sweet NYC, or in my hometown Chicago. People are paid fairly and treated fairly, and I really love supporting two of my favorite cities.
10. Moleskin? Felt? Are you sure these are vegan?
Oh I know these are silly names. Don't worry! Moleskin is a traditional classic heavy cotton fabric. Ours is 100% Organic Cotton with a rain and snow repellent finish. And the Felt is WonderFelt, 100% vegan, and made of recycled plastic bottles. The only reason I created this line was to create something better than wearing animals, so you can rest assured I have intentionally put so much into fabric R&D so that no one will have an excuse to wear animals again. Also, fabrics are as often as possible made of Organic and Recycled fibers too.
11. Are you hiring?
Why yes we are! If you love animals, strangers, and fashion, this fall, we are looking for:
- Part Time Brand Proxy: Adore people and VAUTE? We're adding a 1-2 day/week proxy to the team!
- Merchandising & Visual Display Intern: 10-20 hours a week. interested in exploring concept to creation of in store and window artistic displays, and in store merchandising.
- Graphic Design/Illustration Intern: 10-20 hours a week. Ideally in NYC. Interested in exploring fashion based editorial layouts, and some typography. Ideally experienced in Illustrator, photography, and typography.
- Social Media & Marketing Part Time Associate: 20 hours a week, must be in NYC- has natural talent for creating community and the written word, is organized and a self-starter.
- For the right candidate, start date is as early as September, but is flexible and open-ended.
- If you think you would be a great fit either of these positions, please email Leanne@VauteCouture.com and I'll be in touch after preorders settle down a bit :)
Additional FAQ can be found here. Or just email my amazing team at Sales@VauteCouture.com or call us!
Okay I think that's everything! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your support of my indie label. You make this all possible- we wouldn't be here if not for you, and as we keep growing, we know we couldn't do this without you.
Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart (& the VAUTE TEAM!)
Founder & CEO